12 Antioxidant Foods That Prevent Disease and Fight Aging
Lifestyle factors such as smoking, diets high in fats and sugars, alcohol and some environmental factors, such as heavy pollution, can cause stress in our body.
This type of stress is caused oxidative stress. Fortunately, we can help fight that stress, and protect our bodies from future damage with antioxidants.
Antioxidants are powerful tools that help keep our bodies healthy.
Antioxidants can be found in:
Vitamins - A, C, E as well as magnesium and selenium
Herbs and spices – clove, cinnamon, oregano, turmeric, cumin, parsley, basil, ginger
Whole foods - fruits, vegetables and other plant-based food
Antioxidations can also offer other benefits for overall general health including:
Reducing the signs of ageing
Combat heart disease
May help with mood disorders
Reduce your risk of dementia
If you want to try and gain these benefits, here are 12 foods high in antioxidants:
Blueberries are naturally sweet, with low calories and contain powerful inflammation-fighting and cell-protecting properties. Blueberries are one of the top sources of antioxidants and have some of the highest levels of antioxidants.
2. Dark Chocolate
Lucky for people with a sweet tooth, dark chocolate contains minerals and a ton of antioxidants. Dark chocolate has also been linked in reducing some of the risk factors of heart disease.
Not only are strawberries sweet and delicious, they are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. Strawberries can help to rebuild, repair and rejuvenate the body.
4. Goji berries
Goji berries are a rich source of fiber and high in antioxidants and have been apart of Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Goji berries can help with bowel functions, cardiovascular health and may combat the signs of ageing.
High in fiber, vitamin C, manganese and antioxidants, raspberries are more than just a sweat treat. Raspberries boast many health benefits including powerful anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties.
Beetroots and beetroot juice are packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants. They are known to be associated with major health benefits such as inflammation relief, detoxification and boosted brain function.
Spinach is super low in calories and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are also high in lutein and zeaxanthin antioxidants that help to combat damage to the eyes.
8. Red cabbage
Red cabbage (also known as purple cabbage) is a superfood high in vitamins and antioxidants. It can help to combat heart disease, reduce the risk of some cancers and reduce inflammation. It is important to stir-fry red cabbage as cooked cabbage is easier for your body to process the nutrients.
9. Red and black grapes
Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C and vitamin K, red and black grapes are an excellent addition to your diet. The highest concentration of antioxidants are found the skin and seeds.
Pomegranates can help to prevent the risk factors associated with high blood pressure, inflammatory activities and oxidative stress. They have an impressive nutrient profile containing antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamin C, K and potassium.
11. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fiber and contain an array of vitamins and minerals. They are also high in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals. Sweet potato poses many health benefits including support of healthy vision, the immune system, brain function and gut health.
12. White tea
White tea is made from the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant and boasts an abundance of polyphenols, catechins and antioxidants. Similar to green tea, white tea offers a wide range of health benefits, including, reduced risk of heart disease, weight loss, skin ageing and oral health.
Antioxidants are necessary for a healthy body and can help fight oxidative stress that contributes to aged skin, inflammation, fatigue and heart disease. Food and nutrients are the most simple and easiest ways to introduce antioxidants into your body on a daily basis.
Where To From Here?
Want to get even more antioxidant goodness? MODERE- The Live Clean Company have developed a powerful blend of fat and water-soluble antioxidants designed to support your cells’ defenses. To read more about this potent antioxidant click here
1. Health Line, 2018. 12 Healthy Foods High In Antioxidants, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-antioxidants
2. Dr Axe, 2019. Top 10 High Antioxidant Foods, https://draxe.com/nutrition/article/top-10-high-antioxidant-foods/
3. Health Line, 2018. 10 Impressive Benefits Of White Tea, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/white-tea-benefits
4. WebMd. 10 Nutrient Rich Super Foods https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/10-super-foods#3
5. Medical Medium. Pomegranate Bark, https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/pomegranate-bark
6. Dr. Axe, 2018. Top 7 Health Benefits Of Blueberries, https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruit/health-benefits-blueberries/
7. Medical Medium. Strawberries, https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/strawberries
8. Dr. Axe, 2019. Goji Berry Benefits: Antioxidant & Antiinflammatory Superfruit, https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruit/goji-berry-benefits/
9. Dr. Axe, 2018. 8 Beet Benefits You Many Not Believe, https://draxe.com/nutrition/vegetables/beets-benefits/
10. Medical Medium. Miraculous Leafy Greens, https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/miraculous-leafy-greens
11. Dr. Axe, 2018. Red Cabbage: The Disease-Fighting, Gut-Healing Superfood, https://draxe.com/nutrition/vegetables/red-cabbage/
12. Medical Medium. Sweet Potatoes, https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/sweet-potatoes